How to craft an impressive digital marketing cover letter
Digital marketing is a growing industry that utilizes technology, social media, and other digital channels to create successful marketing campaigns. Earning a job as a digital marketer requires you to have in-depth knowledge of the industry, conveyed to employers through a well-written cover letter.
In this guide, we teach you everything you need to know about writing a cover letter as a digital marketer. Keep reading to learn all about:
- How to create a digital marketing cover letter header
- Why personalizing your digital marketing cover letter is vital
- What key information to include in your digital marketing cover letter intro
- Ways to effectively describe your digital marketing skills and achievements
- How to conclude your digital marketing cover letter concisely
1. How to create a proper digital marketing cover letter header
The very first step in your cover letter writing process is to create a cover letter header.
Headers are important design elements on any cover letter. Not only do they help establish visual flow, but they also list your most important personal information right at the top of the document.
In a header, include the following key information:
- Your name and professional title
- Your professional contact information
- The name, department, and address of the company you are applying to
Here is an example of a well-formatted digital marketing cover letter header
Mariah Evans, Digital Marketer
(123) 456-7890 | firstname.lastname@example.org | linkedin.com/in/mariah-evans
To: Unity Marketing Solutions
Digital Marketing Department
1234 Street Address
2. How to personalize your digital marketing cover letter
Anytime you write a cover letter, it is crucially important to tailor that letter to specific employers.
This is done through a process called personalization in which you research the company thoroughly and then use your research to reference the specific needs of the company throughout your cover letter.
In addition to looking for information about the company’s wants and needs, you should also try to determine the exact staff member who is most likely to read and review your letter. This information can then be used to create a personalized greeting that addresses this person by name.
Here are 3 examples of personalized cover letter greetings
- Dear Marketing Manager Jane Doe,
- Dear Mrs. Jane Doe,
- Dear Hiring Manager Jonathan Smith,
3. How to craft a strong digital marketing cover letter introduction
With your personalized greeting in place, you can jump right into writing your cover letter introduction.
To write a strong introduction for your cover letter, there are a few key pieces of information that need to be included. This information is as follows:
- A brief overview of your professional history
- A concise statement on why you are a great fit for this company specifically
- Any specialized areas of expertise you have
Here is an example of a strong introduction from a digital marketing cover letter
Dear Marketing Manager Jane Doe,
I am a digital marketer with 5 years of specialized experience in blog writing, SEO, and digital marketing analytics. As a long-time fan of your company, it brings me great excitement to apply for the opportunity to become your Head Digital Marketer. My experience in the field combined with my professional dedication to my craft make me the ideal candidate for this position.
Find out your resume score!
Our AI Resume checker can scan your resume for issues and give you tips on how you can improve it.
4. How to effectively describe your digital marketing skills and achievements
Following your introduction are the body paragraphs of your cover letter. In the body paragraphs, you will go into greater detail about your best digital marketing skills and achievements.
As you describe these qualifications, it is important to keep your descriptions short and sweet. Your main goal is to pack a ton of value into a few concise paragraphs that are easy for the employer to skim through.
Here are 6 examples of skills to describe in a digital marketing cover letter
- Content creation and marketing
- SEO and SEM
- Customer relationship management systems
- Verbal and written communication
- Design skills
- Social media management
Here is an example of how to describe an accomplishment in a digital marketing cover letter
As a digital marketer at my former employer, one of my top responsibilities was creating infographics to be shared on the company’s social media accounts. These infographics performed remarkably well, generating 3X the amount of engagement as a normal post. Additionally, the infographics I created were shared more than a collective 3 million times across various social media platforms.
5. How to conclude your digital marketing cover letter concisely
We have made it to the conclusion of your digital marketing cover letter. You’re almost at the end of your writing journey, so keep up the hard work!
To write an effective and concise conclusion, make sure to include:
- An enthusiastic sentence saying you are looking forward to hearing from them
- When and how you can best be contacted
- A formal sign-off
Here is an example of a concise conclusion from a digital marketing cover letter
I extend my appreciation for taking the time to read and review my cover letter. As I am eager to learn more about this opportunity, I hope to connect with you directly to schedule a meeting sometime this week. I am available every weekday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and can best be reached at (123) 456-7890. I plan to give you a call next Monday morning regarding the status of my application if I have not heard back.