How to write a top-notch strategy manager resume?
As a strategy manager, you come up with game plans for companies to achieve success. You can easily identify strengths and weaknesses of an organization, and implement the best strategy to increment company’s effectiveness. You are an analyzer, key planner, assessor, and executive striving for the company to be ahead of the pack.
How do you, however, get ahead of the applicants for the job you crave? Well, first you may need to develop a strategy for writing a slick and effective strategy manager CV.
With the following tips, you will be able to build an appealing resume that will not end up in the discard pile.
1. Format your strategy manager resume in a professional manner
Just like with your strategic plans, you may want to identify the key factors you will base your resume template on.
Nail your strategy manager CV format with the following checklist:
- Set one-inch margins on all sides.
- Make your resume breathe and employ white space between individual sections.
- Use a reverse-chronological format, starting with your most recent work experience.
- Opt for a classic font such as Calibri, Arial or Cambria.
- Unless the job posting states otherwise, save your CV as a PDF document maintaining your formatting intact.
2. Build an eye-catching professional summary for your strategy manager resume
Your professional profile is undoubtedly the first thing hiring managers lay their eyes on. It is that concise, exciting piece of writing encompassing your most relevant experience, biggest strengths, and quantified accomplishments.
To make a thorough strategy for creating an effective professional profile, you may first ask yourself the following questions:
- How much time will a recruiter spend reading my resume?
- How long should my professional summary be?
- What expressions will secure a hiring manager’s attention?
To answer your first strategic question, the recruiter might not spend more than 8 seconds reading your resume. It may sound harsh, but they are as busy as a cat on a hot tin roof.
Your professional profile should be approximately 2-5 lines long, which may sound challenging, but it will be a piece of cake for you once we get to answer the third question.
Any hiring manager will look for the keywords from the job posting and for relevant, measurable accomplishments. Here's how you can catch their eye:
- Use the keywords from the job ad in question.
- Link them with your greatest relevant accomplishments.
- Use numbers whenever you can.
- Employ impactful action words, such as: spearheaded, developed, increased, mentored, etc.
Strategy manager professional summary example
"Enthusiastic and results-driven Strategy Manager who excels at developing and implementing business stabilization procedures and processes. Spearheaded and mentored a team of 25 professionals, identified $15M market opportunities and developed pursuit strategy. Increased credit approval rates by 35% implementing use of innovative marketing campaign selection techniques. The Employee of the Month Award winner with extraordinary leadership and communication skills."
Find out your resume score!
Our AI Resume checker can scan your resume for issues and give you tips on how you can improve it.
3. Market your best strategy manager skills
What is it that makes you a great professional? It is surely not just your knowledge of strategy management, but also your personality traits that can make headway.
Do not underestimate your skills section, and make sure that you first mention those competencies that your potential employer is looking for.
Best strategy manager soft skills for your resume:
- Outstanding Communication
- Strategic Thinking
- Active Listening
- Commercial Acumen
Best hard skills to put on your strategy manager CV:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Adaptive Insights
- Org Chart Software
- Cascade Strategy
- Business Analysis
4. Make your strategy management work experience stand out
As a strategy manager, you are no stranger to competitive positioning. When it comes to describing your past work experience, define how you will stand out from other applicants and create value for your potential employee.
Think of your most significant achievements relevant to the job you are applying for, and make sure you quantify them whenever you can.
Use bullet points to make your accomplishments easy to read. Writing large chunks of text would be a surefire way to frustrate the hiring manager, and you surely do not want that.
Strategy manager work experience example
Wedeliver Ltd., Austin, Texas
- Developed and implemented business stabilization procedures and processes.
- Spearheaded and mentored a team of 25 professionals.
- Identified $15M market opportunities and developed a pursuit strategy.
- Increased credit approval rates by 35% implementing use of innovative marketing campaign selection techniques.
- The Employee of the Month Award winner with extraordinary leadership skills and great communication skills.
5. Write an impressive education section for your strategy manager resume
It may happen that your potential employer will require you to have a bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, industrial management, or other related business field.
How to get your education section to the top? Spice it up by adding your relevant coursework, achievements or areas of interest.
Here's how to list education in your strategy manager resume
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, United States
BA in Business Administration with Distinction
- Area of interest: Business Management
- Excelled in Forecasting
- Relevant Coursework: Statistics, Marketing, Accounting, Economics, Business Management, Communication, Forecasting, E-Commerce
6. Include relevant extra sections in your strategy manager CV
Do not reduce your additional sections to space fillers. You can significantly enhance your resume if you just pick them right. Reveal your best competencies fitting the position you are applying for.
Think of the accomplishments, certifications, conferences or volunteering activities that have contributed to your strategy management skill set, and have made you even a greater communicator or organizer.
Get inspired by the following extra sections for your resume:
- Language Skills
- Volunteering Activities
Have you attended a relevant conference? You may include it in your strategy manager resume like this:
- Advances in Physics and Engineering Mathematics Conference, March 2016
Now, when you have crafted an appealing CV, scan it for issues here and see how it compares against other resumes.