How to write a persuasive front-end developer cover letter
Front-end developers carry out many essential duties to make computer programs and other digital products as user-friendly and easy to interact with as possible. To win a position as a front-end developer, you need an excellently written cover letter that shows off your top skills and qualifications for the role.
In this guide, we cover 5 key steps for writing a persuasive front-end developer cover letter that convinces employers to hire you. Read on to learn all about:
- How to correctly format your cover letter header and headline
- Why tailoring your cover letter for specific employers is key
- What essential information to include in your cover letter introduction
- Ways to describe your top qualifications as a front-end developer
- How to effectively and persuasively conclude your cover letter
1. How to correctly format your front-end developer cover letter header and headline
Proper formatting is always crucial throughout any job application, no matter whether you are writing a cover letter, a resume, or any other application materials.
In a cover letter, the main elements you need to worry about formatting correctly are the header and headline. Your cover letter header will always come first, listing your name and contact information in a visually appealing way.
Here is an example of a well-formatted front-end developer header
Jon Snow, Front-End Developer
(123) 456-7890 | email@example.com | linkedin.com/in/jon-snow
To: Annex Software Solutions
1234 Street Address
Buffalo, NY 14201
Next, you will write your cover letter headline. A headline is an equally important element that helps grab the employer’s attention with compelling language that outlines the main narrative of your letter.
Here is an example of a strong headline from a front-end developer’s cover letter
My Top 3 Achievements as a Front-End Developer & How I Can Achieve This Success for Your Business
2. How to tailor your front-end developer cover letter for specific employers
All employers want to walk away from reading a cover letter feeling like the job applicant has taken the time to speak about and reference their company’s specific wants and needs.
In order to accomplish this, you must tailor your letter with personalized details about the employer. To find such information, you must first research the employer and their company, looking for keywords, skills, and more that you can include within your letter.
Additionally, you should always address a specific person at the company whenever possible, such as the business owner or a hiring manager.
Here are 3 examples of personalized front-end developer cover letter greetings
- Dear Lead Developer Ned Sharp,
- Dear Mr. Ned Sharp,
- Dear CEO Mike Wazowski,
3. What essential information to include in your front-end developer cover letter introduction
When writing a cover letter introduction, it is crucial to know what information is essential to include to make the introduction compelling to employers.
Key details to include in your front-end developer introduction include:
- A concise summary of your professional history
- An explanation of any specialized areas of expertise you have
- A mutual acquaintance (when possible) that can serve as a professional reference
Pro Tip: Including a mutual acquaintance is always a great choice, as it provides the employer with a reference they already know and trust.
Here is an example of an expertly-written front-end developer cover letter introduction
Dear Lead Developer Ned Sharp,
I am an experienced front-end developer who has worked for more than 9 years in the FinTech industry, implementing digital banking platforms for major financial institutions. In my time at my previous employer, I had the pleasure of working with your company’s back-end development team. Your Lead Back-End Developer, Mr. Jack Smith, later approached me about this opening at your company and invited me to apply.
4. How to describe your top qualifications as a front-end developer
As a front-end developer, you know the importance of making the words on a page flow in a way that is highly readable. The same goes for your cover letter — the descriptions for your skills and accomplishments should be easy to skim through and gather the most important points from.
As such, as you describe your key qualifications, your descriptions should be clear, concise, and as specific as possible to the employer’s needs.
Here are 6 skills to describe in a front-end developer’s cover letter
- Developing user interface features
- Testing front-end features
- Knowledge of UX design
- Coding languages
- A/B testing processes
- Web design
Here is an example of how to describe an accomplishment in a front-end developer cover letter
As the front-end developer for [Former Employer], I developed a new testing system that gave web visitors more opportunities to identify their pain points in the onboarding process. After implementing this system and correcting the errors, I raised overall customer satisfaction with the online interface by an average of 51%.
5. How to effectively and persuasively conclude your cover letter
The final component for your front-end developer cover letter is an effective and persuasive conclusion.
This concluding statement should include:
- An enthusiastic sentence saying you are looking forward to hearing from them
- An additional sentence stating you will follow up, including how you will contact them or how they can contact you
- A formal sign-off
Here is an example of a great conclusion from a front-end developer’s cover letter
As the new addition to your front-end development team, I will put forth great effort to provide quality support to both your team of developers and your clients. To best reach me to discuss this opportunity further, please call me any time during normal business hours Monday through Friday at (123) 456-7890. I greatly look forward to receiving your call and plan to reach out next Tuesday to follow up if I have not yet heard back.
If you have ever wondered how a cover letter differs from a resume, this article will tell you everything about the key differences between the two.