How to write a winning photographer resume?
As a photographer, you have mastered capturing the essence of ordinary and extraordinary objects, people, landscapes, nature and events with your camera. Focusing on the right moment, perfect lighting and angle, you are able to perpetuate the moment.
As an expert in composition, you can draw one’s attention to the most significant part of your shot in a flash. How can you, however, masterfully compose your own resume?
Focus your camera on these snappy tips, and you will surely make your photographer resume stand out.
1. How to include contact information in your photographer CV?
Make it simple. Let your resume breathe and provide only necessary details, such as your name, phone number, email and social media link if it is related to the job you are applying for.
2. How to feature a link to your photography portfolio?
Putting your shots on display is essential to land any photographer job. Add a link to your portfolio below your contact details.
Have you made thousands of great-looking photos? Just do not use them all. Pick 10-15 of your best shots and make sure that they fit the job you are interested in.
Get inspired by these captivating portfolios.
3. How to nail your photographer professional summary?
No vague professional summary will win you an incredible job position. The question then arises, “How to squeeze the best of me into 2-5 lines?”
Focus on the most significant achievements as a professional photographer. In other words, take into account those accomplishments that might be seen as important through the hiring manager’s lens.
Photographer resume professional summary example:
"Enthusiastic professional Photographer with 3+ years of experience in product advertising photography. Lead photographer for Mark & Benson Studio. Shot, edited and produced 80+ captivating product advertising photos. 99% of customers expressed their satisfaction. Shot Product of the Year cover photo for The Sound Journal 2018. Winner of Monochrome Awards Competition 2019."
4. What are the best skills for your photographer resume?
You do not have to go far for the answer as it lies right in the job posting you have decided to respond to. Every employer knows what they are looking for. Show them that they do not need to headhunt anymore.
Let us take a look at this excerpt from a photographer job posting:
What We Expect:
- Shooting, producing and editing photography to the superior standard
- High quality drone photography
- Providing engaging content for our social media channels
- Commercial photography experience needed
- Proficiency working with Skylum Luminar, Photoshop, Premier Pro
- On-time, high-quality delivery
- Smooth communication with clients
- Effective and professional interaction with our marketing and sales team
- Offering guidance and advice
Based on this job ad, you may easily put together your impressive skill-set. Clearly, you should mention only those skills you actually possess. What if you have all of the ones mentioned in the job posting? Well, it looks like you have a golden ticket!
Best soft skills for your photographer CV
- Outstanding communication
- Attention to detail
Best hard skills to put on your photographer resume
- Skylum Luminar (Superior Proficiency)
- Adobe Photoshop (Superior Proficiency)
- Adobe Premiere Pro (Advanced Proficiency)
- Adobe Lightroom (Intermediate Proficiency)
- Aerial Photography
- Marketing and promotion
- Copyright laws
- Product advertising photography
5. How to best describe your photographer work experience?
You unquestionably have a lot of experience with architectural, wildlife or portrait photography, and you would certainly love to mention it all in your CV. Yet you should be selective.
Focus more on your accomplishments in what is relevant to the job. Avoid listing a handful of work experiences along with endless lists of responsibilities.
Listing photographer resume work experience
Mark & Benson Studio
- Managed a team of 5 creative professionals and closely collaborated with the Marketing and Communication Departments.
- Shot, edited and produced 80+ captivating product advertising photos.
- 99% of customers expressed their satisfaction.
- Shot Product of the Year Cover for The Sound Journal 2018.
6. How to effectively list education in your photographer resume?
You already know that merely listing your school and degree may not make a hit with the hiring manager. Certainly not as much as adding relevant achievements. Upgrade your education section, and impress your future employer like D850 would!
How to list education in your photographer CV
University of Europe
BA in Photography
- Excelled in landscape photography techniques and color theory.
- Senior product advertising photo got selected as the most captivating with 154 votes.
- Winner of landscape photography contest.
7. What extra sections will make your photographer resume stand out?
Think of your CV as the best window of time to shoot a perfect photo. You prepared for it thoroughly and you will not have the second chance to shine.
Your awards, volunteering activities or publications that have contributed to your exceptional photography skills should definitely go on your resume.
Additional sections for a photographer resume
- Winner — Monochrome Awards Competition 2019
- Finalist — Made of Metal Competition 2015
- Photography — Save Turtles Project, Panama, March 2020
- Photography Course — Happy Kids, Texas, May 2020
- Volunteer — Build a Shelter, Texas, January 2021
- 13 photographs in Beautiful Landscapes
- 5 photographs in the Products on Display