How to build a compelling game designer resume?
Video games are extremely complex and so is your job. You are the one behind countless lines of code allowing people to escape from reality.
As a game designer, you experiment with coding and watch mistakes happen. You work on them, upgrading your game to its highest standard.
To get closer to landing a killer job in the game development industry, you will need to complete the first level through crafting a killer resume.
Use the following guide to write a game designer CV that wins the pot.
Still looking for a job? These 100+ resources will tell you everything you need to get hired fast.
1. How to boost your game designer resume formatting?
Being more than familiar with level design, you know how a good layout can become a game changer. An organized and great-looking CV can significantly improve user experience, making it neat and easy to navigate.
Follow these tips, and take your formatting to the next level:
- Use one-inch margins on all sides.
- Create effective focal points, and employ negative space to lead a hiring manager’s eye to the desired section.
- Solve the distribution of individual sections by using a two-column format.
- List your work experience and education reverse-chronologically, starting with your most recent experience.
- Would you like to make your resume more creative? Think about employing a delicate color and an original (not too extravagant, and definitely not Comic Sans) typeface. Keep in mind that most recruiters claim to prefer traditional resumes.
Choose your preferred template and make your resume shine.
2. How to write a winning game designer professional summary?
Just like you bring to life your game with improved graphics, you can enhance your resume with a compelling professional summary.
The truth is that those 2-5 lines can make a hiring manager carry on reading your entire resume, or stop them from it right there.
Figuring out how to connect with the recruiter through your professional profile may be a hard code to crack — unless you follow these leads:
- Use keywords from the job posting. If your potential employer needs an analytical and stress-resilient person with extensive expertise in using Stencyl and Unity 3D, make sure that you feature these expressions in your professional profile.
- Focus on your most relevant work experience and skills.
- Mention your most significant achievements, and quantify them whenever you can.
Game designer professional summary example
Knowledgeable and detail-oriented Video Game Designer with 5+ years of experience developing video games, performing various project management tasks and conducting code reviews. Mentored a team of designers on the constant improvement of the game development process increasing its efficiency by 21%. Possesses extensive expertise in using Stencyl, Unity 3D, and CopperCube. Offers outstanding analytical skills and ability to work well in stressful situations.
3. What are the most effective game designer skills to put on your resume?
It’s clear as day that you possess technical skills worth every penny your potential employer would offer.
Notwithstanding, to make the most of your technical competencies, you’ll need high-flying soft skills, such as teamwork, creativity or storytelling abilities. And hiring managers know it.
Compile your best skill-set tailored to the job you are applying for, and raise your game.
The best game designer soft skills for your CV
- Artistic vision
- Outstanding communication
- Analytical thinking
- Time management
- Decision making
- Deep knowledge of trends in the gaming industry
Use the following hard skills for your game designer CV
- Excellent programming skills
- Unity 3D
- Level building
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Substance Painter
- Unreal 4
- Game platforms
4. How to best describe your game designer work experience?
In order to stand out from other applicants, you may as well need a few super moves. Well-crafted past work experience is crucial for your game designer resume, and you will want to make it as relevant as possible.
- Refer to the job posting and look for keywords to use in your job description.
- Start with your most recent role, stating the company name, location, your position and dates worked.
- When describing your experience, focus on your best accomplishments linking them with the keywords from the job ad.
- Increase your chances of landing the job by quantifying your achievements.
- Use a bullet point list. Make it concise and simple, so that the hiring manager doesn’t have to wade through large chunks of text.
Game designer resume work experience example
Bravestorm Studios, Austin, Texas
2017 – 2021
- Skillfully developed 14 video games using Stencyl, Unity 3D, and CopperCube.
- Tested games, executed code reviews, handled documentation, spearheaded multiple Software Interns.
- Mentored a team of designers on the constant improvement of the game development process increasing its efficiency by 21%.
- Executed various project management duties, developed and managed the projects schedules, and performed multiple clerical duties.
- Awarded Employee of the Month for completing all projects within budget and in a timely manner.
5. How to successfully upgrade your game design resume education section?
Listing your education may seem fairly straightforward — college name, degree and years of study. Is that all? Well, it surely depends. It’s a good practice to include your honors, academic achievements, awards or relevant coursework, especially if you lack work experience in the field.
You may list your education like this
Massachusetts Institute of Technology,United States
MA in Computer Science
- GPA: 4.0 (Top 1% of the Program)
- The 2010 Dean's Award winner for achieving outstanding academic results
- Excelled in Systems Programming
6. How to include additional sections in your game designer CV?
Your game designing competencies certainly did not happen overnight, and you have honed your skills over a long period of time through various activities.
Make your resume shine and gain enough XP to land your dream job by adding the following sections to your game designer resume:
- Language Skills
- Computer science projects
- Volunteering activities
- Certified Developer, Unity Certification, 2018
- President, Park International School Computer Club, Lisbon, Portugal