How to craft an effective aerospace engineering cover letter
Aerospace engineers are responsible for designing and evaluating aircraft, spacecraft, missiles, and more. Due to the position being highly technical, applicants applying for this position need a cover letter than thoroughly describes their experience, skills, and qualifications for the job.
In this guide, we will teach you 5 key steps for writing an aerospace engineer cover letter. Keep reading to learn how to:
- Format an aerospace engineer cover letter header & headline
- Tailor your aerospace engineer cover letter for the job
- Write a compelling aerospace engineer cover letter introduction
- Showcase your skills and accomplishments as an aerospace engineer
- End your cover letter with an effective closing statement
Still looking for a job? These 100+ resources will tell you everything you need to get hired fast.
1. Format properly your aerospace engineer cover letter header & headline
To give your aerospace engineer cover letter a sense of structure, you need a well-formatted header and headline.
A cover letter header will list all the necessary information about the applicant and employer, including:
- Your name and professional title
- Your professional contact information
- The name, department, and address of the company you are applying to
Here is an example of a header from an aerospace engineer cover letter
Henry Blevins, Aerospace Engineer
(123) 456-7890 | email@example.com | linkedin.com/in/henry-blevins
To: Aerospace Industries, Engineering Department
1234 Street Address
Baltimore, MD 21201
Following the header of your cover letter is the cover letter headline. While this is an optional element, it can greatly help to attract an employer’s attention.
To format your headline, include a keyword related to the position, an eye-catching number or trigger word, a powerful adjective or verb, and a promise.
Here is an example of an aerospace engineer cover letter headline, followed by a quick explanation of its key components
My 3 Successes in Aerospace Engineering & How I Can Achieve Them at Your Company
Trigger Word/Number: 3 Successes
Keyword: Aerospace Engineering
Promise: At Your Company – this serves as a promise because it indicates to the employer that you will apply your skills specifically for their company’s needs.
2. Tailor your aerospace engineer cover letter for the job
When writing a cover letter as an aerospace engineer, it is crucial to tailor the document for the job. To do this, you will need to thoroughly research the company beforehand, focusing specifically on:
- Who at the company will review your application
- What the company’s values and goals are
- What projects the company is involved in
Using this information, you can describe your skills and qualifications much more effectively by explaining how they align with the employer’s current objectives and needs.
This will also help you to create a personalized greeting. A personalized greeting addresses a specific person by name, immediately showing the employer you have researched their company thoroughly and have excellent attention to detail.
Here are 3 examples of personalized greetings:
- Dear Mrs. Jane Doe,
- To CEO Jane Doe,
- To Mrs. Jane Doe & the Engineering Team,
3. Write a compelling aerospace engineer cover letter introduction
To write a compelling introduction on your aerospace engineer cover letter, you should include:
- A brief & highly specific overview of your professional history
- A statement on why you are enthusiastic about applying to this company
- A mutual acquaintance (when possible) – including a mutual acquaintance helps you to establish a trusted professional reference, as well as build credibility and rapport right away.
Pro Tip: LinkedIn is an excellent platform for building a professional network and getting to know employees within a company you are interested in. If you do not have any mutual acquaintances, try using LinkedIn to connect with professionals at the company.
Here is an example of a well-written introduction from an aerospace engineer cover letter
Dear Mrs. Jane Doe,
I am a driven Aerospace Engineer with more than 6 years of experience designing aircraft transport models. My former colleague, John Smith, took a position at your company earlier this year and shared with me that you have an opening in your Engineering department. Upon reviewing your company values and goals, I believe I am the perfect match for this position.
4. Showcase your best aerospace engineer skills and accomplishments
A strong aerospace engineer cover letter will contain between 2 to 4 body paragraphs that answer the following key questions:
- What excites you about working at this company?
- What relevant skills do you have and how will you apply them?
- What accomplishments or qualifications make you stand out as an applicant?
Unlike a resume where your descriptions need to be as short as possible, a cover letter gives you the best opportunity to describe and expand upon your relevant skills and accomplishments. As such, you should aim to give ample context for each skill or accomplishment you include.
Here are 6 examples of key aerospace engineer skills to describe in a cover letter
- Knowledge of aerospace systems
- Design creativity
- Manufacturing processes
- Federal government standards
- Teamwork & collaboration
Here is an example of how to describe an accomplishment in an aerospace engineer cover letter
As an Aerospace Engineer at [Former Employer], I implemented a new aerospace systems analysis that improved prototype testing efficiency by 25%. Additionally, this analytical model helped to automatically identify potential manufacturing errors, reducing overall errors by 40%.
5. End your cover letter with an effective closing statement
To conclude your aerospace engineer cover letter, write a strong closing statement that includes:
- An enthusiastic sentence saying you are looking forward to hearing from them
- An additional sentence stating you will follow up, including how you will contact them or how they can contact you
- A formal sign-off
Here is an example of an effective closing statement from an aerospace engineer cover letter
As an Aerospace Engineer at your company, I will honor your company’s high standards of quality to the utmost extent. I greatly look forward to speaking with you about this opportunity and plan to reach back out next Monday if I have not heard back. The best time to reach me is any weekday between the times of 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at (123) 456-7890.
Follow this cover letter outline for maximum success.