How to craft a compelling production manager cover letter
Production processes in the manufacturing and engineering industries can be highly complex, requiring skilled production managers to oversee the process and ensure everything runs smoothly. To earn a position as a production manager, you need a cover letter that showcases your professional qualifications.
In this guide, we will teach you everything you need to know about writing a cover letter as a production manager. Keep reading to learn how to:
- Create a production manager cover letter header & headline
- Personalize the greeting & content on your cover letter
- Write a memorable production manager cover letter introduction
- Highlight your skills & accomplishments as a production manager
- Conclude your cover letter with an effective closing statement
Still looking for a job? These 100+ resources will tell you everything you need to get hired fast.
1. Create an effective production manager cover letter header & headline
To begin writing your production manager cover letter, the first key step is to create your header and headline. These elements give your cover letter a sense of structure and organization.
The cover letter header comes first at the top of the document and should include:
- Your name and professional title
- Your professional contact information
- The name, department, and address of the company you are applying to
Here is an example of a well-formatted production manager header
Jane Doe, Production Manager
(123) 456-7890 | email@example.com | linkedin.com/in/jane-doe
To: Star Manufacturing, Management Department
1234 Street Address
Atlanta, GA, 30304
With your header in place, you will now create your cover letter headline. A headline is an optional title statement that can work wonders when it comes to initially attracting an employer’s attention.
To write a headline, you should always use a keyword related to the position, an eye-catching number or trigger word, a powerful adjective or verb, and a promise.
Here is an example of a production manager headline, followed by a quick breakdown of its key components
My 3-Step Approach to Production Management & How it Will Benefit Your Production Process
Trigger Word/Number: 3-Step Approach
Keyword: Production Management
Promise: Your Production Process – this detail indicates to the employer that you intend to relate the information in your cover letter directly to the needs of their company.
2. Personalize the greeting & content on your production manager cover letter
Whenever you write a production manager cover letter, it is always crucial to personalize both the greeting and content of the document.
A personalized greeting will address a specific person in the company by name, requiring you to research exactly who at the company will review your application. As you complete this research, also look for the following information to reference in your letter:
- The company’s core values and goals
- Any projects the company is currently involved in (or will be involved in in the future)
By personalizing your cover letter in this way, your research efforts will show employers that you are greatly interested in their company and have excellent attention to detail.
Here are 3 examples of personalized greetings
- Dear Mr. Jack Smith,
- Dear Hiring Manager Jack Smith,
- To Jack Smith & the Production Team,
3. Write a memorable production manager cover letter introduction
The introduction of your production manager cover letter is one of the most important elements, as it can be the deciding factor of whether an employer calls you back or moves on to the next application. As such, your introduction needs to be both compelling and memorable.
A strong cover letter introduction will often include:
- A brief overview of your professional history
- A statement on why you are enthusiastic about applying to this company
- A mutual acquaintance (when possible)
Pro Tip: Including mutual acquaintances is key, as it helps to build credibility and provide the employer with a professional reference they know and trust. If you do not have any mutual acquaintances, use the professional platform LinkedIn to connect with current employees and associates of the company.
Here is an example of a well-written production manager introduction
Dear Mr. Jack Smith,
I am a Production Manager with 7+ years of experience working in the technology manufacturing industry. I found your company on LinkedIn and was impressed by your commitment to sustainable business practices, prompting me to connect with your Lead Floor Manager, Henry Black. Upon reviewing my resume and profile, Mr. Black strongly recommended I apply for this position.
4. Highlight your production management skills & accomplishments
The body paragraphs of your cover letter are where you will provide a more in-depth look into your skills, qualifications, and accomplishments.
Unlike a resume, a cover letter allows you to fully describe these qualifications and relate them back to the position you are applying for. As such, you should take your time with this section and make sure the details you include are as specific and quantifiable as possible.
Here are 6 examples of production manager skills to describe in a cover letter
- Project management
- Leadership & communication
- Vendor management
- Process improvement
- Production processes
- Creative critical thinking
Here is an example of how to describe an accomplishment in a production manager cover letter
As the Production Manager for [Former Employer], I lowered operational costs by more than 40% by identifying overspending on unused materials and inefficient production processes. Additionally, I implemented a new automated product testing system that improved production efficiency by 25%.
5. Conclude your production manager cover letter with an effective closing statement
To finish off your production manager cover letter strong, write an effective closing statement that includes:
- An enthusiastic sentence saying you are looking forward to hearing from them
- An additional sentence stating you will follow up, including how you will contact them or how they can contact you
- A formal sign-off
Here is an example of a closing statement from a production manager cover letter
As your new Production Manager, I am certain I can boost profits while maximizing productivity and efficiency. I greatly look forward to hearing from you and am available to meet any weekday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. I plan to reach back out in one week if I have not heard back.
The best way to reach me is at (123) 456-7890 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow this cover letter outline for maximum success.