Dear Human Resources Manager,
When I learned about the position of Gender-Based Violence Counselor at WCWRC, I knew that this is the opportunity I have been waiting for.
I have over 6 years of international clinical and field experience in the areas of GBV counseling and research. In addition, I have carried out over 10 years of community-based work with women, children, and LGBTQ+ groups affected by violence and discrimination in North America and Africa.
While completing my Bachelor of Peace and Conflict Studies, I enriched my global understanding of gender-based violence through practical experience with survivors of violence through a North American perspective and while doing so, upgraded my knowledge of Canadian and Manitoba-specific policies, legislation, and regulations affecting response to any form of violence. Furthermore, while completing my Master of Psychology in Coercive Control, I focused on theories of violence intervention/prevention and restorative justice such as creative-narrative therapies.
Being a colored new-immigrant woman to Canada and Winnipeg, I have first-hand experience of the challenges and barriers that newcomers and refugees can face while integrating into Canadian society. Besides my specialization in gender-based violence and counseling skills, I possess a unique capacity to converge the diverse skills acquired from my multi-dimensional educational and work background. Consider the following highlights that are valuable to this position:
- A nuanced understanding of gender-based violence and its impact on different vulnerable groups
- Extensive experience in maintaining casework, drafting safety plans, and co-creating multi-party solutions
- Experience in counseling participants with low English levels
- In-depth knowledge of referral resources and strong community ties in Winnipeg (government, student groups, community-based/faith-based/cultural/non-profit organizations, human rights advocates)
- Cross-cultural competency acquired in 11 countries (South Asia, Africa, North America, and Europe) for work, education, and leisure
- Evolved communication and interpersonal skills using the approaches of conflict resolution and transformation
Moreover, my extensive global experience in GBV response is significantly relevant to the kaleidoscopic "multi-cultural" Winnipeg society.
Please find attached my resume for your consideration. Thank you very much for your time. I look forward to hearing from you regarding next steps.