Shogun is on a mission to empower brands to create exceptional ecommerce experiences, and in the process, build the best remote company.
Since being in the Winter 2018 batch of Y-Combinator, we've seen tremendous growth while intentionally creating a culture where people from all backgrounds belong. Our company and products are informed by diverse perspectives from the best talent around the world. We are fully remote, have no offices, and are looking for team members who are excited to work remotely.
We closed our Series A and B in 2020, and after raising a $67.5M Series C in 2021, we are scaling faster than ever. Some of our investors include Insight Partners, Initialized Capital, Accel, VMG Partners, and Y Combinator. Join us to grow your career with our rapidly growing company!
For this position, we are looking for candidates located in the United States and Canada.
What You'll Do
As a Director of Finance, you’ll join our Operations team, reporting to the VP of Operations to lead our Finance function, in addition to managing our accounting team. In this role, you’ll be serving as a strategic partner throughout the org, advocating for financial health and capital efficiency, partnering with our data team to drive scenario planning, and running our end-to-end forecasting process.
Some of your key responsibilities will include:
- Serve as a strategic partner to our executive and leadership team, driving revenue forecasting & budgeting decisions
- Leading financial planning and analysis, including forecasting and budgeting, and providing ongoing performance tracking and analysis to support business decisions across the organization
- Working cross-functionally to develop and manage pricing strategies, revenue recognition policies and sales incentives
- Managing all financial reporting and directly supervise accounting activities, including monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting—our accounting manager will report to this position.
- Manage relationships with external partners, such as banks, auditors, and investors
What You’ll Bring
- Deep experience owning and leading the finance function, including forecasting, budgeting, and performance tracking
- 8+ years of progressive experience in finance, ideally in a B2B SaaS startup environment
- Experience with accounting and financial reporting, including GAAP compliance and management of audits
- Strong leadership and management skills, with the ability to mentor and develop direct reports
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and communicate financial information to non-financial stakeholders
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field; CPA or MBA preferred
A Note to Future Shogies
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting potential Shogies. If you have relevant skills that are not reflected in your resume, we welcome your candidacy and encourage you to share more in an optional cover letter, even if your experience doesn’t match our exact requirements. We are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace where everyone feels like they belong. We encourage you to apply if you feel this role is a good fit for you, and we look forward to hearing from you!
What We Offer (Varies by Location)
- Competitive salary
- Company-sponsored healthcare, visioncare, dentalcare for you and your dependents
- Retirement plans with matching contributions (401k, Pension, and RRSP)
- Paid parental leave
- Stock options
- Yearly company and department off-sites
- Home office set-up reimbursement
- Monthly home office productivity reimbursement
- Co-working space reimbursement
- PTO, sick leave, holidays, Shogie appreciation days, COVID-19 related time off
- Learning and Development reimbursement
- Mental health and wellbeing offerings
- Quarterly Wellness reimbursement
- Remote work – We are a diverse and distributed team that uses Slack, Zoom, Notion, and other tools to stay connected
- Work in the open: We strive for transparency and operate with high integrity. We value diverse feedback and give insight to both our Shogies and clients.
- People are People: We believe everyone should be treated with respect. We seek to understand teammates and clients through questions and feedback.
- Win and grow together: We are all on the Shogun team, and love to see teammates and clients succeed. We challenge, learn from, help out, and cheer each other on as we continue to grow.
- Biased to Action: Agility and ownership in all that we do. We deliver value to each other and clients iteratively and quickly.
Shogun supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other protected class.
Please refer to the position specific location requirements listed under the location section of the job description as we are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the mentioned location(s) without requiring employment visa sponsorship. Click here (or click apply if no hyperlink) if you are a New York or Colorado-based, US candidate.