Zapier is on a mission to make everyone more productive at work. Our product has helped millions of people build businesses through the power of automation.
We're looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to manage our Product Security group.
At Zapier, security is part of how we create customer value. This group is helping our engineering organization to build security into our products on a secure-by-default infrastructure. It is a combination of talented, hands-on Application Security and Cloud Security engineers.
While reporting to the Head of Security, you'll get to impact every engineering team in the organization and use a broad set of technologies. Maintaining excellent relationships and communicating effectively with teams will be crucial to success.
You'll also get a chance to work with a growing community of Security Champions, helping them advance their knowledge and influence the engineering organization through them.
Things We've Done Recently:
- Implemented a comprehensive Cloud Security Posture Management system
- Rolled out a training platform for our Security Champions
- Deleted all our IAM users to rely on SSO instead
- Implemented a successful bug bounty program
- Conducted dozens of threat modeling sessions
If you’re interested in advancing your career in Cybersecurity at a fast-growing, profitable, impact-driven company, then read on…
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
You are an effective team builder. This isn't your first leadership role, and you've been in a direct leadership role for at least two years. You understand the benefits of building a diverse and inclusive engineering team. You may not have hired or managed hundreds of people before, but you have hired, trained, and managed at least a few engineers.
You’re a product thinker. As an Engineering Manager, you’ve worked to set goals, metrics, and a strategy for a product-focused Engineering team. You push your team to prioritize impactful work to meet the company’s goals.
You can keep track of, prioritize, and lead multiple projects. You have experience leading projects in Scrum. We're a small team, and there's no shortage of things you could be doing in a day. You'll carve out time for projects and make sure they solve real problems the team faces.
You have excellent communication skills. You regularly work with engineers and other stakeholders from various disciplines, balancing engineering concerns such as technical debt with product concerns. Ideally, you find solutions that address both the team and user needs but if not, help build understanding around difficult decisions.
You have a background in or strong interest in Cybersecurity. You don't need to be a security expert, but you are familiar with concepts like DevOps/DevSecOps, OWASP, and security tooling.
Deep customer empathy. You have empathy for our customers and our engineers who use our systems and are eager to make improvements for them. You seek to reduce toil and understand what it means to take a software engineering approach to security.
Things you’ll do
Zapier is a fast-growing and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll do:
- Collaborate across various disciplines (Product Managers, Designers, Researchers) to help set technical roadmaps that will achieve business goals through engineering best practices.
- You’ll cultivate your team's talents to implement security solutions that are readily available to our software engineers, don't slow them down, and provide actionable recommendations. We look for the solution that automates the problem away, not the one that requires manual effort.
- Your teams are working on multiple projects at the same time, so you have to prioritize and juggle resources accordingly.
- Execute and deliver on the strategic vision of Product Security by identifying and delivering relevant backlog items.
- Build rapport with each member of the Product Security group and support them through coaching and mentorship to help level up their skills.
- Act as a second-in-command for the Head of Security.
Zapier Compensation Guiding Principles
We believe all Zapiens should be rewarded competitively and equitably, using practices that are simple and transparent. This philosophy ensures we’re able to find, grow, and retain exceptional people from a broad range of backgrounds. Here’s how we define our compensation principles:
- Competitive: Zapier pays well among the technology sector.
- Equitable: Consistent pay practices; competency-based pay.
- Simple: Pay is well understood, and pay practices are built for scale.
- Transparent: Zapiens know how pay works, including how their pay is determined.
The pay ranges for this role are:
- USA: 184,100 - 230,100 - 276,100 USD
- Canada: 184,100 - 230,100 - 276,100 CAD
- UK: 115,800 - 144,700 - 173,600 GBP
A Candidate's compensation package is finalized once the interview process is concluded and accounts for experience, competencies (job knowledge, skills and abilities) and internal equity.
For more information on Zapier’s Total Rewards please click here.
How to Apply
At Zapier, we believe that diverse perspectives and experiences make us better, which is why we have a non-standard application process designed to promote inclusion and equity. We're looking for the best fit for each of our roles, regardless of the type of education or companies in your background, so we encourage you to apply even if your skills and experiences don’t exactly match the job description. All we ask is that you answer a few in-depth questions in our application that would typically be asked at the start of an interview process. This helps speed things up by letting us get to know you and your skillset a bit better right out of the gate. Please be sure to answer each question; the resume and CV fields are optional.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us—even if we don’t see an immediate fit with our team. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to never go more than seven days without letting you know the status of your application. We know we’ll make mistakes from time to time, so if you ever have questions about where you stand or about the process, just ask your recruiter!
Zapier is an equal-opportunity employer and we're excited to work with talented and empathetic people of all identities. Zapier does not discriminate based on someone's identity in any aspect of hiring or employment as required by law and in line with our commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Belonging and Equity. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
Zapier is committed to inclusion. As part of this commitment, Zapier welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities and will work to provide reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.