We are looking for an outstanding Product Director to lead our ML Enablement product teams, supporting the growth of ML across Etsy.
The Director of Product will own the vision and strategy for the ecosystem that supports machine learning at Etsy. They'll partner closely with senior engineering leadership on the most critical needs of their customers and how to deliver the right solutions. And they’ll be managing two GPMs, each with their own growing teams of PMs. This evolution of ML at Etsy is going to be the foundation for many new, impactful, and exciting customer experiences, so if you find joy in building and scaling ML platforms to support company-wide goals, this role could be an excellent match!
This is a full-time position reporting to the Sr. Director, Product Management and the base salary range will be 218,000 - 283,000 USD per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. For this role, we are considering candidates based in the United States who are either remote, flex, or office-based. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our flexible work options and workplace safety policies here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
This team is responsible for building and supporting all of the ML platforms, infrastructure, and services at Etsy, including model inference, MLOps, and feature systems. Our key customers are Recommendations, Search, and Ads teams, and we’re looking to expand the boundaries of ML to cover new and exciting use cases. In 2023, we’ll look to onboard critical use cases in Trust & Safety and Payments, to help Etsy scale our operations and safeguards for our buyers and sellers.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Develop a compelling customer vision that unites the needs of our sophisticated ML teams in Search, Ads, and Recs with the nascent and growing ML user base across Etsy.
- Partner with engineering and design leaders in the ML space to make that vision a reality, delivering real value to customers in the first 6 months, with a strategy that meets a fast-growing desire for ML support in the next 3 years.
- Manage, mentor, and lead a team of PMs and PM managers to support their growth and align their work to the greatest needs
- Ship an ML Enablement ecosystem of services and platforms that unlock ML at scale for all of Etsy
- Meet with internal customers and partners to understand ML needs, balance priorities, and influence the shape of Machine Learning at Etsy
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that the role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy's discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- Experience building ML ecosystems scale. Applied ML experience is a bonus, but we’re really looking for someone with shown success on the platform side.
- A strong manager of PMs, including other managers. You've scaled yourself and your team to support a large (~80+) engineering organization
- A compelling storyteller. Some teams at Etsy are sophisticated ML users, but others are just starting to consider the opportunity ML can provide. Telling a compelling story of what systems and support we can offer, and being the beacon of excitement around what’s possible.
- A strong technical point of view. This role will operate in a highly technical space, with very senior engineering leaders. You’ll need to be a big part of the conversation on what products we’re building, capable of pushing back if you see unmet customer or business needs.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you'd like. As we hope you've seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.