Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop, or Elo7 you will tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human
What’s the role?
We are looking for a Backend Engineer to join one of our Mobile Apps product engineering teams. On our team, backend engineers build the Application Programming Interface (API) endpoints used by our native apps.
You will collaborate with a dedicated team of engineers, designers, product managers, analysts, and researchers who work together to build engaging and delightful user experiences for Etsy’s native applications.
Alongside delivering product features, our engineers also have opportunities to propose and lead projects that invest in improved performance, developer experience, or fixing tech debt.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Engineering Manager and the base salary range will be 152,000 - 178,000 USD per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. For this role, we are considering candidates based in in the United States who are either remote, flex, or office-based. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our Flex and Office-based work modes and workplace safety policies here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
You will be part of the product team within our Buyer Experience Group, responsible for creating features to improve the experience of millions of users as they shop for nearly one hundred million listings on the Etsy Marketplace. Since mobile is the fastest growing segment, you will have the opportunity to contribute directly to Etsy’s goals and growth alongside mobile engineers and partners.
Our team is highly collaborative and empowered to make a better experience for our customers. We rely on our ability to work as a team and incorporate different standpoints in order to ship significant and impactful software to our users.
Learn more about our engineering philosophies, tools, and some of the challenges we’ve been solving on our Engineering blog: http://codeascraft.com/
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Build high impact products and experiences for people buying on Etsy.
- Lead the backed engineering work as we build features in the Etsy mobile apps.
- Effectively conduct technical discovery, break down projects into concrete pieces, and communicate timelines, dependencies, and tradeoffs, collaborating with client side engineers.
- Collaborate with other backend engineers on other teams to improve the Etsy API architecture.
- Guide more junior engineers in their technical and architectural decisions, using thoughtful code reviews, mentoring, and project planning discussions.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- Lead with questions, curiosity, and kindness.
- Love to, and are able to, learn new systems and technologies.
- Experience working on backend technologies (we use PHP, MySQL, Memcache, while previous experience on PHP is not required, you should be passionate about learning it!)
- Enjoy being a mentor and mentee.
- Great communication skills and the desire to collaborate across departments and with internal customers.
- Understand the ins and outs of crafting an API to be consumed by multiple platforms
- Experience working with product managers, designers, and nontechnical partners to provide them with estimates, and scoping large bodies of work.
- Ability to lead and break down complex problems into bite sized solutions.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you'd like. As we hope you've seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.