Andela exists to connect brilliance and opportunity. Since 2014, we have been dedicated to breaking down global barriers and accelerating the future of work for both technologists and organizations around the world.
For technologists, Andela offers competitive long term career opportunities with leading organizations, access to a global community of professionals, and education opportunities with leading technology providers.
For companies, Andela provides access to a global network of fully integrated team members that unlock their business’ innovation and growth potential.
At Andela, we are deeply passionate about creating long-lasting and transformative growth opportunities for all and doing it in an E.P.I.C. [andela.com/careers] way.
We are excited to continue building our remote first team with incredible people like you!
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Back-end engineer for curating the structure of server-side information. In this role, you will primarily write server components and APIs to be utilized by front side engineers and UX designers. The day to day consists of implementing reusable code libraries, good APIs, generating data storage solutions, optimizing servers for speed and stability, implementing security structures, and collaborating with the frontend engineers to develop a Clean Code / Clean Architecture experience through excellent Software Design and Software Architecture good practices.
Back End Engineers should possess good knowledge about algorithms, data structures, design patterns and Software Engineering in general. A basic understanding of front-end techs such as React, HTML and CSS is needed for efficiency. Vast knowledge of backend coding in NodeJS platforms is required for candidacy. Well qualified applicants will possess strong communication, organizational and time-management skills.
- Confidently ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members.
- Develop features and improvements to Andela products in a secure, well-tested, and performant way.
- Collaborate with Engineering Managers, Backend Engineers, Frontend Engineers, Machine Learning Engineers, DevOps professionals, Product Managers, Designers, to solve common goals and maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment
- Conduct Code Review within our Code Review Guidelines and ensure your colleagues' contributions receive a swift response.
- Solve technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Recognize impediments to our efficiency as a team ("technical debt"), propose and implement solutions
- Translate requirements into Conceptual Designs and Technical Designs
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with database modeling (ERD/ERM) and migrations
- Significant experience with API Creation & modeling
- Experience with Integration tests
- Knowledgeable about Software Design Principles, e.g.: Abstraction, Encapsulation, Decomposition, Generalization, Coupling and Cohesion, Separation of Concerns
- Understanding of scaling applications to handle high data traffic
- Clean Code / Clean Architecture experience; Design patterns understanding and correct application, e.g.: Singleton, Factory, Adapter, Strategy etc
- A basic understanding of front-end tech such as React, HTML5, CSS3 is needed for efficiency