We are looking for a passionate and sharp Backend Engineer to be a part of one of our cross-functional product development teams to help us shape the future of the time tracking industry and deliver real value to our customers with both new and improved features.
The salary for this position is €63,000 annually and we are committed to increasing salaries every year based on company and individual performance. In addition to that, we also have awesome benefits, which you can check out below.
You can work from anywhere in the world.
As a Backend Engineer, you will be taking ownership of one or more domains of our product and will work closely with other engineers and product designers in lean ways using cutting-edge technologies powering highly-available RESTful services and back-end systems.
The main technologies you will be working with are Go, PostgreSQL and Google Cloud Infrastructure.
Even though you can work whenever you want on your tasks, our team meetings can happen between 11:00 to 15:00 UTC. You need to be willing and available to attend these meetings when they happen.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- developing, scaling and maintaining some of our backend services including the API, reports and other infrastructure services that manage our product and logistics worldwide
- working with multiple teams day to day to bring more value to Toggl’s users, covering customer-facing web and native applications and public APIs
- completing small to medium features independently and in collaboration with frontend engineers
- resolving most technical issues autonomously and designing well-organized code
- driving assigned requests to improve the codebase, such as migrating it to modern frameworks and adding missing tests
About the Team
We are a global team of 130+ awesome people working from over 40 countries around the globe. We hire globally, you work locally—in the heart of London, a beach outside of São Paulo, or a quiet village near Florence, the choice is yours. Every few months we travel to meet up somewhere in the world and spend some quality time together. We place a huge amount of trust in our people, and we measure the outcomes rather than the work itself. Our values fuel our results.
Wonder if you'll fit in?
Learn more about our culture
We would love to hear from you if you are passionate about technology and you have some experience with programming in Go.
In particular, we are looking for:
- Strong backend engineering experience in any language
- Passion for cross-discipline collaboration and problem-solving
- Eagerness to learn new skills, and take ownership of your work
Bonus points for:
- Working experience with our main technologies: Go, PostgreSQL and Google Cloud Infrastructure
- Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Experience with system architecture, particularly at scale
- Experiences with Kubernetes
- Freedom to choose when and how much you work—we only measure results
- 24 days of paid time off a year, plus your local holidays
- In-person meetups for team-building (expenses covered)
- 4-6 weeks paid sabbatical (depending on tenure)
- Laptop budget up to 2,500€ and it renews every 3 years
- €2,000 budget to set up your home office and an additional €300 every year after 3 years of tenure
- €250 per month for co-working space membership and/or internet service at home
- €4,000 per year contribution to use for training, workshops, and conferences
- €2,000 per year contribution for any equipment or services to improve and/or maintain your physical and mental health
- Support for buying tools you need for doing your best work (even eyeglasses if you need a new pair)