Career and Education Advisor Resume Example (Versão Texto)
Email address: email@example.com
Phone number: 555-555-5555
Passionate about serving our military, and an experienced advisor and guide committed to helping individuals achieve their career and life goals through an integrative approach. Counseling and holistic health practitioner training informs my work with clients and individuals:
- Experience with veteran/service member/spouse hiring processes and providing career services
- Familiarity with military culture and issues around transition and resiliency
- Willing to continue with professional development, including NAWPD certification, etc.
Cultivating Resiliency and Engagement
Creative Problem Solving
Empathic, Human-Centered Communication
Career Services/Resume Review & Coaching
Individual Educational Plans (IEPs)
Education & Curriculum Development
2017 - 2019, Academic Advisor/Designated Student Official (DSO), Southern States University, San Diego, CA
Academic Advisor to over 350 international and domestic students over two campuses and online in Business and IT graduate and undergraduate programs. Proactive guidance and coaching of students to create a coherent educational plan based on a holistic assessment of academic program, goals, interests, and abilities.
- Used empathetic listening and counseling/coaching skills to guide students through critical and challenging situations: life issues, possibility of visa termination, and mental stress, etc.
- Fostered a collaborative and reciprocal advising relationship through open communication, outreach and follow-through: availability and consultation in person and through phone, email, virtual conferencing (Skype, Zoom).
- Career Services guidance and referral to resources; organized student visits to Amazon Distribution Centers and referred to faculty/student mentorship and volunteer programs.
- Coached academically struggling students through to improvement, raising scores, GPAs and self-confidence and skills.
Designated Student Official (DSO)
- DSO (Designated School Official): monitoring and maintaining F-1 international student records and reporting requirements; guiding students through complex immigration and visa requirements.
- Conducted work authorization (OPT/CPT) consultations, guiding students through complex international student work requirements, leading to successful applications.
- Successfully coordinated institutional application for VA approval.
- Chair of the Intercultural and Diversity Committee: spearheading process and event planning, outreach and implementation.
- Staff to the Governance Board, coordinating meetings, agenda, and communication of important information.
2015 - 2017, Client & Agency Coordinator/VP Assistant, RecruitMilitary, Loveland, OH (Remote)
Cultivated strategic partnerships and provided liaison services for agencies and businesses (including Fortune 500 companies) to locate appropriate veteran job candidates by accessing a proprietary 1.2M+ veterans member database. Communicated with clients through fulfillment implementation process using Salesforce and responded to client queries for information and services.
- Managed complex marketing and outreach plans across multiple clients.
- Built exceptional client relationships and contacted key personnel at agencies to facilitate the welcoming and onboarding process.
- Helped coordinate multiple hiring events for veterans nationwide, including managing event needs and location/vendor relations.
- Provided support for clients and technical/software walk-throughs via virtual sessions.
2007, Community Training Specialist, Sam & Rose Stein Education Centers, San Diego, CA
Taught life skills and independence for groups of adults with special needs and developmental disabilities. Coached and mentored clients in community-based day program focusing on developmental goals. Evaluated individual needs and connected clients to community resources. Provided workplace supervision of 3-4 clients representing their needs to supervisors and colleagues.
- Assisted clients with public transportation system 3-4 times weekly to various community locations. Encouraged enrichment in each individual by facilitating group games, exercises, and crafts activities.
- Diffused conflict situations using the Safety Training Observation Program (STOP) ensuring workplace safety and well-being of clients.
2017 - 2018, M.S., Rehabilitation Counseling (courses towards degree), San Diego State University, San Diego, CA
- ~1 year of graduate level Rehabilitation counseling courses: individual and group counseling techniques and theory, career services, vocational assessments, medical and psychological aspects of disability, etc.
2007 - 2008, M.A., English Literature: Modernities, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
- Interdisciplinary degree focused on modern literature, art, politics and culture.
2018 - 2019, NACADA Institutional Member, NACADA: The Global Community for Academic Advising
NACADA: The Global Community for Academic Advising institutional member. Involved in trainings, focus groups and committed to continued participation in future events and conferences.
Certification & Training
2010, Holistic Health Practitioner Courses, International Professional School of Bodywork (IPSB)
Massage and bodywork training, including:
- Massage for People with Cancer at the San Diego Cancer Center
2006, California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
Passed CBEST test, and received substitute credential.
Exploring New Places and Perspectives
Veterans' Transition & Resiliency
Psychology and Strengths-based Counseling